Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Vienna waits for you



'Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true, 
when will you realize, Vienna waits for you?'




Vienna was more beautiful and elegant than I could have ever imagined. The second picture was the view from my hostel. Right below us was a flea market called the 'Naschmarkt', which has existed since the 16th century! We arrived Friday night, and went to our hostel [more of a dorm than a hotel]. We visited the Hofburg Castle. Yes, there are castles everywhere you turn here. I was able to learn a little about Austrian history. Empress Elisabeth [Sisi] is an icon in Vienna. She married Franz Joseph 1 in 1854, and became the Empress of Austria, as well as the Queen of Hungry.The whole castle is dedicated to her.We also went on a city tour. Our tour guide, was this cute old lady that knew the ins and outs of the city. I wouldn't be surprised if she has lived there her whole life. The Belvedere  Castle was the best part of my visit to Vienna. I had the opportunity to see some unbelievable art work. Learning about the art history and the artists themselves last year, made it even more amazing. It is incredible that their art has lasted and amazed all these years. I saw Jaques Louis-David(8th picture), Vincent Van Gogh, Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, and Gustov Klimt. I have already started accumulating more Buddhas. The one in the back right was from the Naschmarkt. The back left is from a little store in Salzburg. The front middle was the first of my Buddha collection, from Little Tokyo in California.Vienna was wonderful, it was my first of many travels while I am here for the next 4 months. I cannot wait to experience more and share it with you!

Love from Salzburg, Austria
-Kirsten













1 comment:

  1. Those castles are amazing!! Ugh I just want to be a princess so bad. Aaaand I just want to be on this study abroad with you. Oh and good for you for taking sneaky pictures...I always did that in museums too. Keep up the good work. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete